Monday, June 15, 2015

Hair and confidence

I've always had super straight hair that's been nearly impossible to do anything with.  It's never held a curl or a perm, much to my disdain as an 80s child who really wanted big bangs!  To that end, I've also always had some serious curly hair envy.  So imagine my surprise when I noticed my hair started to get a bit of a wave to it last fall.  It wasn't super noticeable unless my hair was wet/damp, but it was definitely there, but then fall turned to winter and since I live in a winter weather climate, it's not advisable to run around with wet hair when it's cold.  So I sort of forgot about it.  Then this spring, once the school year was over and I had the flexibility in my schedule to let my hair air dry, I noticed it again.  Over the weekend I got about five inches of hair cut of and low and behold as soon as that extra weight came off there was definitely a noticeable wave.  So I decided to embrace it, and I really like it.  I just put some curl cream in it, scrunch it a little bit, and let it air dry.  It looks a little bit messy, but it's fun.  I went to work today for the first time with my newfound wavy hair and got so many complements.  So I think I'll keep it, at least for a little while.

This hairstyle also has the added advantage of not using a blow dryer.  Considering our temperatures and humidity have been abnormally high over the past week, this is more than welcome.

Why is my hair turning wavy?  I have no idea!  I'm blaming it on peri-menopause.  Why?  Because why not.  Seriously though, I wish I knew why my hair is turning wavy, because I would market it and become rich!

This whole hair thing has made me realize that I'm starting to get my confidence and sense of adventure back.  The last couple of years have been mainly about playing it safe and closing myself off in order to protect myself.  I didn't realize how much I missed this part of me and I'm glad that it seems to be coming back.

7 comments:

  1. Isn't it weird how hair texture can change as you get older? My hair used to be really curly, like with ringlets, and now I'm in my 30s and it's lost a lot of the curls (unfortunately) and is just kinda wavy! But it takes a curl well so if I use my curling tongs it looks nice, or I just leave it wavy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so weird! So sad that you've lost your curls! I've always coveted curly hair, but I think that's mainly because I'm lazy and the idea of just scrunching my hair with some gel and going about my day always appealed to me.

      Delete
  2. I had the same issue with my hair. It's thick and straight. The "perming" disaster of the 80s was the high point for me I guess. Or rather, lack of perm. My hair used to fall to my waist. I found after I got it cut shorter (the relief of losing all that weight!) it started getting a natural wave in it.

    I actually got my hair cut the other week before I got sick and was talking to my hairdresser about straight hair turning wavy and her theory is that as we get older, our hair tends to get this natural wave in it. Maybe like humans, hair loses its stringent youth? It was interesting either way.

    I am really happy to hear that you are getting that confidence and sense of adventure back but I also think it's natural to close yourself off to protect yourself for the first few years after this sort of situation. I'm looking forward to hearing about your new adventures going forward if you decide to share them on the blog.

    Here's to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To your waist?! Wow! I'm way too impulsive for that...I've managed the middle of my back, but that's about it.

      I find it very interesting that it appears to be a relatively common phenomenon. I bet it has to have something to do with the changing biochemistry as we age. I wonder if it happens to men too?

      Delete
    2. I couldn't tell with my hubby. He has naturally curly hair from his mother's side. He hates it though. Isn't that always the way? People with straight hair wish they had curly hair and people with curly hair wish they had straight hair!

      It's been a long time since my hair was to my waist. I got halfway down my back this time before I got sick of it and had it cut back to just above my shoulders. I can't even wear my hair up when it's long because it gives me massive headaches.

      Delete
  3. My sister has straight hair. I have wavy hair. I've always been jealous of my sister's hair. I could only grow my hair long (shoulder length or a bit longer) when hair straighteners arrived. I had to wait until I was in my 40s to have hair long enough to be able to tie it up! Even then, it was too hard to look after. Travelling when it was hot and humid was a nightmare! So I've cut my hair short again. Sigh. I'm glad your newly wavy hair is a delight to you. It's fun to try something new. And it sounds as if your version of wavy works ... it sounds gorgeous! I'm tempted to ask for a photo ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's always the case....wanting the hair that you don't have! I can definitely see where having curly/wavy hair would be a nightmare when it's hot and humid. One thing that is really nice about having straight hair is that it is easy to pull up in a pony tail or half pony tail.

      I'll send you a picture. :)

      Delete