- In August I wrote about my good friend bringing her baby home from the hospital. I don't think I wrote about my first interaction with her after the baby was born. Hubs and I dutifully sent a gift for the baby (well, a gift card for a large online retailer since shopping for baby things is hard and I refuse to spend money on things I think are stupid, a wipe warmer, for example) and she sent my husband and I a message on Facebook thanking us for our generosity. Except instead of just expressing appreciation, she gave a detailed rundown on labor, an eventual emergency c-section, and the baby's short time in the NICU. This friend is one of the few people who know about our situation so I was taken aback and quite hurt that she would share these things with me. Now I realize that her world had just been completely changed and that she was probably inundated with congratulatory messages and people wanting details and for efficiency's sake she just copied and pasted a standard response to save on time, but it hurt me deeply that this friend who knows about our infertility would not think before sending such a message. Anyway, I talked to her on the phone for the first time since the baby's birth earlier this week. I'll never tell her how badly she hurt me because deep down I know that it wasn't done intentionally. We had a good conversation and it was nice to catch up, but it was painfully obvious that we're in different places in our lives now. I'm going to try really hard to continue a relationship with her because the truth is that I have a really hard time making friends, so I don't want to lose those that I do have.
- We're going to spend this weekend with my family and next weekend with hubs' family. I'm feeling ambivalent about both trips. I don't know why I feel this way but I do. I'm sure that once we get to both places it will be fun.
- I gave up on sleep around two this morning. I couldn't think of anything better to do and I had four eggs that I needed to get rid of, so I made noodles. Everybody raves about my noodles so I'll take them with us this weekend. Too bad I didn't have time to make chicken stock too.
- Commencement is one week from today. I have a ton of grading to get done between now and then, but by this time next week, I'll be hours away from having two weeks off. I am so looking forward to this break.
- Hubs and I got engaged five years ago today. His proposal was a complete and total surprise. I always joked that he'd never pull one that good off on me again. Well this week he came damn close. When I was growing up my family had a Christmas Countdown Calendar, specifically the 1987 Avon Christmas Countdown Calendar, and I have very fond memories of fighting with my sisters about moving the mouse. I have always wanted this calendar for my own house. Last weekend my sister sent me a picture of my two nieces and nephew at my parent's house moving the mouse (to which I responded "little jerks"-meant with love, of course). I showed the picture to hubs and mentioned that I'd love to have one for our house. Unbeknownst to me he went online, found the exact calendar, and bought it. It came on Wednesday and he surprised me with it when I got home from work that evening. Yes, I cried. Below is a picture with me with my Christmas countdown calendar. It's a terrible picture, I was a gross mess after a workout, I hadn't even taken my jacket off, and I'd been crying. I don't even care because it is a great memory!
So that's some of what is going on in my life at the moment. I'm looking forward to my Christmas break. I have drafts of a few blog posts that I want to finish, edit, and publish that are on my agenda for break as well as cheesy Christmas movies, and reading. Christmas will never be how I imagined it to be a few years ago, but we get to start our own traditions this year and it's going to be great!