- My mom came to my house for a visit from Wednesday-Friday and then went back to her house with hubs and me on Friday evening. It was a nice visit, but I'm glad to have my house to myself again.
- At no point did my mom bring up IVF and only briefly brought up adoption before I shut her down on that topic. Maybe she'll finally get the message that those two topics are off limits?
- My mom and I went Black Friday shopping. For the most part it was fun. We scored some pretty good deals!
- I used to think that the exclusive club of parenthood was the most annoying thing ever. Now I wonder if the exclusive club of grandparenthood is worse. Or at least equal. More than once, while shopping, I had to endure my mom striking up a conversation with a fellow grandma (can I coin the term "granzilla" here?). It was so absurd that it didn't even bother me. Or, more accurately, it did bother me, but I didn't let it hurt me.
- I am happy to report that Thanksgiving dinner wasn't a debacle. Around 40-45 people ended up coming. There was plenty of food for everyone and it was excellent. Everyone seemed to have a good time.
- I cooked probably 75% of the food. From scratch. With little help.
- I was overly optimistic in thinking that I could get through this family event without consuming alcohol (my family aren't big drinkers and you aren't supposed to bring alcohol to the facility that my mom rented).
- Thankfully, unlike the state that I live in, you can purchase alcohol pretty much anywhere in the state that I grew up in. Like gas stations. Conveniently, there was a gas station next door. This particular gas station also sold corkscrews. Which was a good thing since I was smuggling alcohol into an alcohol free facility and took the liberty of assuming that there would be no corkscrew in the facility's kitchen.
- The selection of wine at gas stations is as bad as you might imagine. Still preferable to no wine at all.
- Being seen drinking a glass of wine is an effective deterrent that seems to head off family planning questions.
- It wasn't terrible. I'm glad it's over. I'm thankful we don't have to do it again until next year!
Sunday, November 29, 2015
Thanksgiving weekend recap
Bullet points seem appropriate for this post, so here goes: