- Over the weekend I read New York Times article titled A Grief So Deep It Won't Die (article link). The title alone attracted me to the article because, lets face it, I (and presumably most of the readers of this blog) have a bit of experience with grief. As it turns out, the article was about Complicated Grief. I've heard the descriptor used in this community and I assumed that someone in our community came up with this term and really it did seem to fit because our grief is so complicated and so unlike anything that most people will ever experience. I didn't feel the need to do anymore research before the weekend when I read the article but as it turns out this syndrome first began to be described in the 1990s and is actually a pretty well researched. I actually had a longer post planned on this topic, and maybe I'll still write it, but I wanted to post the article because I can't see any extra time coming my way for a couple of weeks.
- My dog had to get six stitches in his ear last week. Even though he had to be put under anesthesia to get the stitches, he was completely unbothered by the whole thing. I wish I had his attitude.
- We had to drop a substantial sum of money at the mechanic to fix my car. I very much would have preferred to spend that money on something more fun (e.g., a vacation).
- Each year the university that I work at has a ceremony to welcome the incoming freshman before the start of the new semester, and that ceremony was yesterday. Part of me was struck by the fact that I'll have a chance to have direct contact with and potentially impact the lives of about 10% of the matriculating class, but the rest of me was hit by the realization that I'll never get to drop my child of at college. Ouch.
- I realized that I forgot to do my July reading post so I'm going to wait until the end of August and do a combined July/August reading post. :)
- My one year blogoversary is rapidly approaching. Hard to believe it's been (almost) a year!
- Fight Song by Rachel Platten has been a really meaningful song to me lately. The video is quite cheesy, but I love the song! Have a listen:
I hope you are having a fabulous week!